What can you do within a two hour drive from Gatlinburg? If you get bored with the hiking and shopping in Gatlinburg, and the attractions and shopping available in Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, there are plenty of things to do and see. I’ve listed a few of them:
- Cherokee, NC – Take Hwy 441 south through the park to Cherokee and visit the Cherokee museum, or go to Harrah’s Casino to gamble.
- Bristol, TN – Drive 2 hours northeast to tour the Bristol TN Nascar racetrack, or see a race.
- The Biltmore Mansion – Drive about an hour and a half to Asheville, NC to see The Biltmore Mansion.
- Dragon’s Tail – Take your motorcycle west through the park and Townsend to Foothills Parkway on the west edge of the park. Follow Foothills Parkway south to The Tail of the Dragon, also known as Deal’s Gap in NC. 318 switchbacks in 11 miles!!
- Cataloochee Valley – See the Elk in Cataloochee Valley on the southeastern side of the park. The Elk were reintroduced in 2001.
- Cumberland Gap National Park, KY – Take I-40E to Hwy. 32N to the park.